Autopista Richieri y Puente 13
B1778 DUA Buenos Aires
Telephone: (54) 11-4487-1848
Facsimile: (54) 11-4620-5047
Distribution Services: (54) 11-4367-6010
Announcement: 2 April 1980
Groundbreaking and Site Dedication: 20 April 1983 by Bruce R. McConkie
Public Open House: 17–24 December 1985
Dedication: 17–19 January 1986 by Thomas S. Monson
Public Open House: 4–25 August 2012
Rededication: 9 September 2012 by Henry B. Eyring
Site: 3.73 acres.
Exterior Finish: Light gray native granite.
Ordinance Rooms: Four ordinance rooms and three sealing.
Total Floor Area: 17,683 square feet.
Located on the western outskirts of Buenos Aires in the suburb of Ciudad Evita, the Buenos Aires Argentina Temple is easily accessible from the Teniente General Pablo Ricchieri Freeway. Notable features of the building include its large sloping rooftops, six soaring spires, and three wings branching from a central foyer. Also on site are a Missionary Training Center, temple worker housing facility, and patron housing facility. The impeccable grounds are anchored by a grand plaza featuring a sublime water feature.
The Buenos Aires Argentina Temple was the fourth temple built in South America and the first built in Argentina.
Elder Melvin J. Ballard of the Quorum of the Twelve Apostles made a historic visit to Buenos Aires on Christmas Day in 1925 to dedicate all of South America for the preaching of the gospel.
Ground was broken for the Buenos Aires Argentina Temple on April 20, 1983. Elder Bruce R. McConkie of the Quorum of the Twelve Apostles presided. He passed away two years later on April 19, 1985, just eight months before the open house of the temple began.
Over 29,000 visitors toured the Buenos Aires Argentina Temple during the eight days of its public open house with some visitors waiting two and a half hours to get inside. Numerous newspapers and radio stations announced the events connected with the opening of the temple.
The Buenos Aires Argentina Temple was dedicated just one week after its South American sister building, the Lima Perú Temple.
A total of 9,630 Saints attended the eleven dedicatory sessions of the Buenos Aires Argentina Temple, many traveling long distances from within the country and from Uruguay.
Bishop Ángel Abrea—a native of Argentina—was simultaneously called as a member of the First Quorum of the Seventy and as the first president of the Buenos Aires Argentina Temple.
The Missionary Training Center and patron housing facility that share the site of the Buenos Aires Argentina Temple were dedicated on March 5, 1994, by Elder Joseph B. Wirthlin, approximately eight years after the dedication of the temple.
On November 1, 2009, the Buenos Aires Argentina Temple closed for nearly three years for an extensive expansion and remodeling project that added two new wings connected by a central foyer. Argentine details were used throughout the building including art glass featuring the colors of the Argentine flag, decorative painting and gold leafing reflecting patterns from historic architecture in Buenos Aires, and decorative wood trim and paneling featuring Anigre and Makore hardwoods from Africa. The landscaping and gardens were redesigned to include a beautiful entry plaza and fountain.
On August 1, 2011, a new angel Moroni statue was hoisted atop the tallest spire of the Buenos Aires Argentina Temple in conjunction with its renovation.