2 Cornwall Street
Telephone: (852) 2339-8100
Facsimile: (852) 2768-8897
Distribution Services: (852) 2756-5777
Announcement 3 October 1992
Groundbreaking and Site Dedication: 22 January 1994 by John K. Carmack
Public Open House: 7–21 May 1996
Dedication: 26–27 May 1996 by Gordon B. Hinckley
Site: 0.3 acres.
Exterior Finish Polished granite.
Ordinance Rooms: Two ordinance rooms (stationary) and two sealing.
Total Floor Area: 21,744 square feet.
The Hong Kong China Temple is located in the beautiful residential district of Kowloon Tong, a suburb of Hong Kong on the Kowloon Peninsula. The temple proper occupies the top three floors of the building while a meetinghouse, mission office, apartments for the temple president and mission president, and Beehive Clothing outlet fill the balance of the building. Under the plaza level is the baptistry and underground parking facility. The striking edice, characterized by Hong Kong colonial architecture, features high arching windows, ornamented walls, and a gold dome supporting the single spire and gold-leafed angel Moroni statue.
The Hong Kong China Temple was the second temple built in mainland Asia, following the Seoul Korea Temple (1985), and the first built in China.
The Hong Kong China Temple was the first multipurpose temple built by the Church, as envisioned and sketched by President Gordon B. Hinckley in the nighttime hours following a pleading prayer.
The Hong Kong China Temple was originally named the Hong Kong Temple.
Elder David O. McKay of the Quorum of the Twelve Apostles dedicated China for the preaching of the gospel on January 9, 1921, within the walls of the "Forbidden City" in Beijing.
Elder Matthew Cowley, a member of the Quorum of the Twelve Apostles, and Chinese native Henry Aki officially opened missionary work in Hong Kong by prayer on July 14, 1949, from the Peak—the highest point overlooking the city of Hong Kong.
The Kowloon Tong chapel, Hong Kong mission home, and Hong Kong mission office, which stood on side-by-side lots, were all razed to make way for the Hong Kong China Temple. The temple houses replacement facilities for all of these buildings.
Elder John K. Carmack of the Seventy presided over the groundbreaking ceremony of the Hong Kong China Temple. Invited to attend were Hong Kong stake and ward leaders, their wives, and invited guests.
The angel Moroni statue was added to the spire of the Hong Kong China Temple on December 12, 1995. Several hundred spectators gathered to witness the Moroni raising.
During its public open house, over 13,000 people toured the interior of the Hong Kong China Temple including over 500 VIP guests and 25 ministers of other faiths.
The Hong Kong China Temple was dedicated in seven sessions over two days. President Gordon B. Hinckley, who dedicated the temple, had participated in the dedication or rededication of all but five of the Church's operating temples.
Hong Kong was under British rule at the time the Hong Kong China Temple was dedicated, but sovereignty transferred to China just over a year later on July 1, 1997.
Following the dedication of the Hong Kong China Temple, President Gordon B. Hinckley became the first president of the Church to visit mainland China when he arrived in Shenzhen—a "sister cultural city" of the Polynesian Cultural Center in Hawaii.